Valentine’s Day For Singles
After the longest January ever, it’s here, Valentine’s Day is here – All over social media, everyone is talking about V-Day. “Who’s your Valentine?” “What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?” As a single person, the reality that you’re probably not doing anything can be quite depressing.
But let’s forget about that for now and go back to the roots. What is the history of Valentine’s Day? After doing some research, I was shocked to discover that the history of Valentine’s Day is filled with ambiguity. The Catholic Church recognises at least three different saints names Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.
My favourite legend is of Valentine the priest who served in third century Rome. This tale says that Emperor Claudius II outlawed marriage for young men so they could make better soldiers. Valentine thought this decree unjust and defied the emperor, performing marriages for young lovers in secret. When his actions were found out, it was ordered that he be put to death.
There are numerous other legends and stories in regards to the history of Valentine’s Day. However, the fact remains that now, in the 21st century, it is celebrated as a day of romance. So of course the media take advantage of this holiday.
Everywhere, Valentine’s Day is marketed as a holiday for couples. As someone who’s not in a relationship it’s not hard to find yourself feeling a bit down in the dumps at the thought of Valentine’s Day. But it shouldn’t be this way. So I decided to come up for some ways single people can enjoy the V-Day fun too!
- Treat yo’ self! – Whenever I see the Parks & Recreation GIFs of Donna saying this it makes me laugh. But it’s an important motto to live by. Stop waiting for someone to treat you and treat yourself! Buy yourself a lovely, well-deserved present this V-Day.
- Read your favourite romantic novel – For all the avid readers and bookworms out there, why not re-read romantic novels that you once loved or buy a new romantic novel?
- Watch a romantic movie – If you’re in the mood for a cry you can opt for the “chick flicks” or if you want to laugh a little you can go for a cute rom-com. If you want to treat yo’ self even more and splash a bit of cash, you can go to the cinema alone and watch a newly released romantic movie. I promise, it is not sad to go to the cinema alone.
- Pamper yourself – Why not make yourself feel pretty this V-Day? Take a trip to the spa and get pampered. Or try out that new make up look you loved. Cut or style your hair differently, go for a different look. Fill up the tub with bubbles and rose petals and light up some nice scented candles.
- Go eat! – It may be seen as weird or lonely, but why not go out for a nice meal by yourself? This is an extension of treating yourself, and the best treat! As long as you’re enjoying the meal, who cares what people think?
- Fall in love with yourself – In today’s society, it can be quite tough to love yourself. Especially amongst women, there is so much insecurity as a result of unrealistic beauty ideals and the media.
- Day with your pals – If you really don’t want to spend V-Day alone, you can always organise a day with all your other single friends. You can do anything and everything together, from going to the cinema to going out for a meal to a movie night to a sleepover. This way you’ll still be spending the day with people you love.
By Mino Omaghomi